No doubt, a college provides theoretical knowledge and confers a degree, but one has to pass the real exam at workplace. So, you cannot ignore the important of doing an internship while you are still studying. Here we share 10 reasons you should definitely go for an internship without giving a second thought.
1. Gain experience: As a student, you lack experience working in an office environment and this is the only way to get it. You meet many people and see how they work for a common goal. So, it is a good platform to learn as you will later be asked to do work on your own.
2. Strengthen your resume: If you have a work experience, you can add it in your resume. Generally students and graduates don't have work experience when they leave college. They won't be able to demonstrate they understand business, know how to work as a team and assume responsibilities, when they face an interview.
3. Improve communications skills: Any company looks for candidates who have good communication skills and can express themselves well. An internship can be a good platform to acquire this skill by interacting with professionals.
4. Boost confidence: Whether it is public speaking, giving presentations or suggesting new ideas, internships will help you achieve all these with ease. It builds your confidence and helps you move forward.
5. Build network: Working in an office provides you an opportunity to meet and interact with a lot of people. Internships helps you expand your professional network and build contacts which you can use when required.
6. Help you sell yourself in interviews: You gain a lot of experience working in an office which can help you sell in upcoming interviews. You will have some story, good or bad, to share with your interviewer.
7. Work ethics: Every company has a list of do's and don'ts and one can know about them only after working with a firm. Moreover, you come to know about work culture only by spending some time in an office.
8. Get a feel of working with various industries: If you undergo more than one internship, you get to know how different industries work. You will gain experience about many sectors in a short span of time.
9. Able to differentiate between theory and practical: After spending some time in an office, you can easily differentiate how theories which you studied in your college are different from work.
10. Learn about human behavior: You will meet many types of people under one roof, some might inspire and others will conspire against you. You have to learn the skill to deal with them cleverly.