Director General (Customs & Trade)
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and result-driven professional who is a citizen of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Community - Secretariat:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate, initiate, formulate, harmonise and administer the development and implementation of Customs and Trade strategies, policies, regulations/guidelines and programmes;
- Coordinate the development and ensure implementation of consolidated annual work/operational plans, policies and ensure complimentarily of synergies and cooperation within the Directorates under supervision that will meet the objectives and enhance goals of the Community;
- Consult and coordinate with the governments of Partner States and other institutions to ensure conformity and harmony with agreed policies and programmes and projects.
- Coordinate Implementation of Council Decisions and consolidate progress and annual reports on status of implementation of the Council Decisions/Directives related to Customs and Trade matters.
- Identify policy gaps, initiate and facilitate research and studies in priority programme areas for the sectors under the Director General’s supervision;
- Promote and coordinate joint implementation of strategies and programs under supervision to promote teamwork, enhance optimal utilization of resources, efficiency; build synergies, internal learning and co-operation; and minimize duplication of efforts within and between Directorates under the Office;
- Coordinate the budget preparation and presentation to the Community Council for approval;
- Provide leadership direction, managerial support and technical advice to the Directorates and staff under the Office;
- Facilitate and ensure timely preparation of annual work plans/reports, EAC performance evaluation/appraisal and feedback process on the performance of the Community in matters of Customs and Trade;
- Enhance a positive corporate culture and image of the E.AC;
Qualifications and Experience:
Minimum 15 years in relevant field, 10 of which should be at Senior Management level.
Education Qualifications and Relevant Working Experience:
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Work Experience:
Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
How to Apply:
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Monday 15th August 2016, 17:00Hrs.
- You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
- Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates; or fail to provide three referees shall be disqualified.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted
- EAC Staff Rules and Regulations prevent consideration of applicants above 55 years of age.
Executive Selection Division
Deloitte Consulting Limited
10th Floor PPF Tower
Cnr of Ohio Street & Garden Avenue
P O Box 1559 Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania
Fax +255(22) 2116379